Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Beyond the Sun
bulldogblitz.com
Mississippi State Men’s Basketball Press Conference – 3/4/16

Mississippi State Head Coach Ben Howland

On Senior Class…

“I know our senior class has worked very hard. I’m especially proud of how hard we’ve grown here in the last six, seven weeks of the season. I think any time there’s a change in culture, a change in coaching, there’s a period of trying to figure it all out for the players and I really feel like they bought into me and trusted me and given me themselves, especially over the course of the last six, seven weeks. That means a lot to me. It’s sad for me to see them go. I really appreciate all they’ve given to this university and this program. I want to help them in as many ways as I can, both as basketball players and as people off the floor.”

On legacy of the senior class…

“They are the beginning of something special, that’s their legacy.”

On Craig Sword…

“To me, he’s the guy that’s the key guy. I think he’s really started to believe in what we’re doing here in the conference. I’m so impressed with his competitiveness. He is a great competitor and he wants to win in the worst way. He’s sacrificed a lot for this program. He embodies what a Bulldog is. He’s all about winning, and he’s really taken pride in being a great defensive player and learning the game better and becoming a guy that I think will continue to grow. I think if I had him for one more year he could really be special, and, selfishly, I’m sad to see him go.”

Fred Thomas, Senior, Guard

On looking back on past four years…

“It’s been bad, but good for the most part. It’s been bad because of the three coaches I had throughout my career. For the most part it’s been good.”

On taking the court for the final time…

“I think it’s going to be pretty emotional. I’m going to try to make the best of it this Saturday playing in The Hump for the last time.”

On ever thinking about leaving…

“I never thought about leaving. This was where I always wanted to be.”

On building a solid foundation with the younger players…

“I think those guys are going to be great for Mississippi State in the future. Those guys are coachable and understand what is going on. They know how to play the game of basketball very well.”

Gavin Ware, Senior, Forward

On final game in hometown…

“It’s going to be very emotional. I’m trying to hold back all of the emotions that are going to have after walking on the court for the last time.”

On beginning to play in Starkville…

“I was young. I was playing for my dad’s team the Ware Warriors in city league basketball.”

On motivation to improve…

“It was more of a wake up call for me. After waking up and realizing that it was my last season, I knew I had to make something out of it.”

On how fans will remember him…

“Just as the guy with the goggles that played his heart out.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT