ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Mullen to Tennessee?

Maybe, but I don't know. In an environment when even lower level gigs are paying buckets of $$, why would a quality guy with HC experience come into that situation where the fans are running the show and the AD is on life support? Not to mention being in the pressure cooker of the SEC, and the lack of recruiting around Knoxville.

Even schools like Iowa St. and UCF are paying guys $3-4 million a year and those spots have way less stress. At a certain point, salaries have diminishing returns and quality of life takes precedent. Even Florida -- a better situation because of the recruiting -- had settle on their third choice. That was my point.

Apparently AD in other schools are saying, off the record, that the Tennessee job just became that much more difficult to fill.

But I agree; it's a cluster flub. They handled it poorly. Still time for them, but this year time runs faster because of the early signing, and complicated with the many job openings.

Good luck on your own search.
The only one responsible for that fiasco yesterday is the AD John Currie. He should have been met at the airport and fired.
Tennessee is/was willing to pay upwards of $7 million but went the cheaper route again. If Schiano is such a great get, why is he still a coordinator. He is damaged goods and probably will never find a HC gig because of the Penn State mess.
I would back the truck up and Central Florida and tell Frost to take what he wants.

The only one responsible for that fiasco yesterday is the AD John Currie. He should have been met at the airport and fired.
Tennessee is/was willing to pay upwards of $7 million but went the cheaper route again. If Schiano is such a great get, why is he still a coordinator. He is damaged goods and probably will never find a HC gig because of the Penn State mess.
I would back the truck up and Central Florida and tell Frost to take what he wants.

My understanding is that GS turned down multiple HC jobs, probably holding out for more prestigious schools. He was national Coach of the Year while at Rutgers, and guys like Urban Myers and Bellicheck have a high opinion of him, so I assume he's a pretty good coach. It'll be interesting to see how this fiasco effects his employability, and to see who Tennessee eventually does hire. The TN hire will need to be squeaky clean after this, but most understand that the Vol's object to Schiano had nothing to do with the tragic situation at PSU. You do know what double hearsay is, right? As a lawyer, I'll tell you, it means nothing, especially when refuted by multiple sources and recounted more then 20 years after the fact. And no, Frost is not going to Tennessee, but good luck with the coaching search. I have a feeling with all the available competition that Tennessee will need some luck.

My understanding is that GS turned down multiple HC jobs, probably holding out for more prestigious schools.
I've been meaning to mention this about Schiano. One thing he loves to do is put out how he turns down jobs. He did it a lot at Rutgers and continues to. I covered him for years and not once could I get a confirmation on a job offer he had.

I've been meaning to mention this about Schiano. One thing he loves to do is put out how he turns down jobs. He did it a lot at Rutgers and continues to. I covered him for years and not once could I get a confirmation on a job offer he had.

It's well documented that he turned down both Michigan and Miami while at Rutgers. If you recall, he was a hot commodity back in circa 2006. Speculation is that he was waiting for the PSU job to open, then his shot at the NFL came along. I'm less certain about his job opportunities since being fired from Tampa Bay. I know he was owed a boat load of money from the Bucs, and apparently sat on that for awhile, but Urban Myer is reported as saying GS turned down HC jobs, probably with G5 schools. I don't know how much credibility to attach to Urban Myer, or whether what he says involves puffery, but it's not unrealistic to believe he has had G5 options, especially with his history of rebuilding a program.

I actually don't think he would've been a good fit at TN given their expectations. The fan base also seems to want an offensive guy. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

It's well documented that he turned down both Michigan and Miami while at Rutgers. If you recall, he was a hot commodity back in circa 2006. Speculation is that he was waiting for the PSU job to open, then his shot at the NFL came along. I'm less certain about his job opportunities since being fired from Tampa Bay. I know he was owed a boat load of money from the Bucs, and apparently sat on that for awhile, but Urban Myer is reported as saying GS turned down HC jobs, probably with G5 schools. I don't know how much credibility to attach to Urban Myer, or whether what he says involves puffery, but it's not unrealistic to believe he has had G5 options, especially with his history of rebuilding a program.

I actually don't think he would've been a good fit at TN given their expectations. The fan base also seems to want an offensive guy. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.
The Michigan one I can tell you I've been told repeatedly that he was never actually offered the job and I believe that to be true (that he wasn't). Trust me I've read all the same articles you have about him but there is a lot more that goes on behind closed doors in the college football world. Coaches and agents put out a lot of BS and it's tough to get the facts unless you personally know people involved. As was previously mentioned in this thread there's a reason he hasn't been a head coach again on the college level.

Reactions: Mallou
The fact is, a man under penalty of perjury testified what he saw...heresay or not. Read the WaPo story on it. But that is not the major reason fans were in an uproar.
This hire is critical to the life of the football program. You don't hire a guy who was voted as the most unliked coach in the NFL by the players and other coaches.
The next Tennessee coach has to build bridges not elbow his way around. Most fans want a no doubt about it program changer after three failed attempts.
Time to go all in. Schiano was not the right guy.
Plus a lot of it had to do with perception. Fans did not like Currie doing this without consultation by others close to the program. It was just....fly to Dayton Ohio..sign this guy and shove him down our throats.

Currie has to go. IT is time for a real Volunteer to head this search...his name is Phil Fulmer.

IF he is so damaged then why is a coordinator? Can Tennessee hire him as a DC?

The reality is Tennessee did not give a crap about the scandal. They wanted Gruden and they will settle for anyone who they think can win big.

ADVERTISEMENT