Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Beyond the Sun
bulldogblitz.com
LB Gerri Green Quotes

July 25, 2017

MSU Media Day

On what he expects from the defense this season…

“I expect us to come out and play fast, physical and aggressive and get back to being the guys we want to be; 11 guys just out there having fun on the field.”

On his impressions of Coach Todd Grantham…

“He is a very fiery and passionate guy, and he comes with it every day on the field. He gets after players. You will hear him and the guys respond to it in a positive way. They don’t hang their heads. They go out there and make plays off it.”

On what Grantham brings to this year’s defense compared to last season…

“We are focusing on this year, but Coach Grantham did come with the energy that we needed. Everyone wanted to forget about last year and just move forward. The way he came in and attacked the defense and challenged us to play faster and more aggressive, we really needed that.”

On how last season motivates them to become a better defense this season…

“It’s in the back of our heads, but we know we don’t want to be that defense from last year. We know that is not us and that is not Mississippi State defense. We are going to use that as what we can be and show everyone what we want to be and can be.”

On the differences he notices with Coach Grantham…

“We are getting after the quarterback with a lot of pressure from all angles. Really it’s just different ways to get to the quarterback.”

OL Martinas Rankin Quotes

July 25, 2017

MSU Media Day

On how he feels about the position Coach Hevesy has everyone in going into camp…

“I am just looking forward to going out and getting better and also building great chemistry with the offensive line.”

On Elton Jenkins playing center this fall…

“I expect what he always does. He’s a great player and leader. He always talks. I expect big things out of him, and I know he expects big things out of me.”

On Elton’s communication skills…

“We all have to communicate. I have to communicate as tackle and he has to communicate as center. Playing as center he will get even better at communicating.”

On how confident he is going into his senior season…

“I look forward to the camp. With this experience I have now I know what to expect and what to try to bring out of the other guys. Being around for awhile does help with my confidence.”

On his preseason nominations…

“I don’t worry about it. It’s great to have it, but I have to focus on what’s ahead. Honestly I feel like I have a lot of things to prove to myself so the stuff I see really does not phase me.”

On his impression of the younger tackles…

“They are going to be great players in the future. They have a lot of talent, so they have to keep getting that experience so that in the future they will be something special.”

#98 Jeffery Simmons – DL – So.

On the start of training camp…

“I feel way better. I am ready to attack it. This is all I’ve been waiting on. We have been working hard as a team, and I feel like everybody is ready.”

On Coach Todd Grantham…

“I love him, his energy and his enthusiasm. He has a feeling for the players. Getting to know him was kind of easy,, but we are still trying to get him. I talked to him over the break we had, and I told him ‘I want you to get me to be the top pass rusher in the SEC and be the best.’”

On the defense this year…

“I think we are closer this year. Being a football team, being a championship team, you have to be close and be one unit. I feel like we have come a long way. We worked hard this summer with everybody together.”

On his leadership…

“Coming in after all the things that have happened to me, I have always been a leader from high school on and off the field. I feel like I can stand up to Coach Mullen’s standards as being a leader. That is something I always wanted to do. I feel like I am getting to that point.”

On his personal growth…

“I have developed a lot. Just putting everything behind me and moving forward to the SEC Honor Roll. Doing what I have to do in the classroom and being a leader on the team, I feel like I have grown a lot. It’s like what Coach Mullen always says ‘Focus on what you have in front of you right now.’ That’s what I have been doing.”

On the newcomers…

“Those guys have been working. Kobe Jones, his motor has helped the d-linemen out because with his motor coming off the edge it will help me inside. Maybe I will not get double-teamed every play. With him coming off the edge it will help us a lot. With the JUCO guys, hopefully they will be ready to play.”

#83 Jordan Thomas – TE – Sr.

On his excitement level…

“I am very excited. We are excited as a unit to get everything going both as a tight end group and as a team. We are excited to take all the running and working out that we have been doing during the summer and put it all together on the field. We are excited.”

WR – Gabe Myles – Sr.

On advice for the new guys for camp…

“They just have to have the attitude to keep going when it gets hard. They are young and there is a lot of learning that has to go on, but as long as we continue to fight, trust and grow together, we will grow.”

On Nick Fitzgerald…

“I see more assertiveness. I can’t point out any negatives because we are still working and growing as a team.”

On if there is pressure on the wide receiver group…

“I wouldn’t call it pressure, but we do play with a chip on our shoulder. We may be one of the weakest groups, as other people say, but that opens up a challenge for us.”

On the growth of new players…

“I have seen them grow. They are still making sure that they learn all the ins and outs of the offense, and I have seen more confidence. Before it was, ‘I don’t know what I want to do.’ Now it’s, ‘I’m ready to get the ball and make a play.’”

On his leadership…

“I don’t want say that I go in thinking that I have to be a leader because leading has to come naturally. I am not the vocal type, but I lead by example. I am going to work hard. If I feel that something needs to be said to you, I won’t say it out loud but I will pull you to the side. If you lose sight of having fun, you lose sight of everything in the sport.”

DB – Brandon Bryant– Jr.

On competition with the safeties…

“The competition will elevate everybody’s style of play because we all are trying to get better at the end of the day. The goal of the season is to get better and have a good time on the field.”

On Coach Todd Grantham…

“He is a great coach, and he is a hard coach on us at times. He’s hard on us because we have to be good and do good. He sets the mood and pace for us every day.”

On Coach Ron English…

“He is a good coach, a great guy, and a great motivator. It’s not all about football with him, and that is what makes him a great coach.”

On the upcoming season…

“This season is going to be special. Over the summer we came together, bonded and chilled together as one. I say this will be special because this is one of the best feelings I have had about a team since I have been here. We just have to find our identity. We want it to be fast, physical, and aggressive, and we are going to work towards that in camp this week. Every rep at a time we are going to give relentless effort. Once we form our fast, physical, aggressive identity, then we will play like that all the time.”

QB – Nick Fitzgerald– RJr.

On his mindset this year vs. last year…

“Last year going into camp, I was in the mindset of beating other people out. I was more worried about what play this guy made or what throw he made instead of focusing on what I needed to work on to make myself better. Going into this camp, that’s my main goal: focus on me and myself, trying to fix what I can fix and trying to make myself better.”

On his leadership style as a quarterback…

“I think everyone has different ways to lead. Not everyone is going to lead the same way. Some guys are more up front and really loud. Some guys are just quiet. I think we all try to lead by example. I tend to think of myself as somewhere in between. I’m not really a yeller. I probably won’t give a halftime speech. But I do expect people to take care of their business because I’m expected to take care of mine. I think I just need to be a little more vocal with it and better at patting people on the back.”

On the work that quarterbacks and receivers have put in this summer…

“We worked almost every day. At least an hour, or an hour and a half, just out there on our own working, going over reads, defenses, different plays. We’re just making sure that we’re all in the same mindset when it comes time for the season.”

On which receivers he expects to step up this fall…

“I think that Jesse Jackson is going to be a bigtime player this year. Jamal Couch is a big, athletic guy. Reggie Todd and Osirus [Mitchell] are two guys that I’m expecting to step us this year.”

On the balance of Dan Mullen’s offense…

“With our offense, it kind of all works together. If you can run the ball well, it’s going to open up the passing. If you pass the ball well, it’s going to open up running. Obviously, I have to become a better passer and be more consistent. We’re still going to stay true to the run game and making plays with my feet though. I have great running backs, and they’re going to take a huge load off me, and hopefully help me become an improved passer.”

On Senior Wide Receiver Donald Gray, Jr…

“He’s an integral part. He’s probably the leader of this offense. He’s vocal and out front. He’s always the first guy in and the last guy out. He eats and breathes football. It’s incredible to have him on our team and to have him leading our young guys. It’s great to have him around because he’s a great guy and a great teammate. He’s definitely going to make big plays.”

On if he minds camp being more spread out…

“Absolutely not. If that means we have to spread it out and have one more week of practice, then that’s fine with me. It just means on some days that we will come in and lift and go to meetings instead of being on the field. I think it’s going to help out a lot. Guys can watch more film or rest more before the next practice. We have more time to recover and make sure that our bodies recover right. That lets us go out and focus on having a good practice and make sure that nothing is limiting us from doing that.”

On preseason expectations for the program…

“Mississippi State has always been doubted as a program. We’ve always played with a chip on our shoulder. It always feel like we are picked last. I think we’ve kind of embraced that. We’ve used that to motivate us. It doesn’t matter what people outside these walls think because we know what we have is special. We know what we can do.”

On the chemistry of this year’s Bulldog squad…

“Last year, we may have not been as cohesive as a team. We may not have been as together as we should have. This year is completely different. The second that we came back in January, we knew that if we wanted to be good we would have to come together as a team. We knew we would have to build our chemistry up and be a team that cared a lot more about each other. I think that’s what we’ve become. We all have great friends within the team. We hang out all the time, and I think that’s really helped.”

On Dan Mullen’s former quarterbacks and what Coach Mullen has taught him…

“Those are some pretty special guys that he has coached. As far as my leadership is concerned, Coach [Mullen] has helped me become more vocal. He’s helped teach me when to talk, when not to talk, or when to get on to someone or not to get on to someone. He wanted to show me that I can handle leading this team. He’s helped me elevate my game and bring everyone together.”

On the players that he met at Manning Passing Academy…

“I want all of them to do well. They’re a great group of guys. Awesome dudes and a great group of quarterbacks, too. I wish each one of them the best of luck this season. In a way, we all support each other because we made all of those relationships at camp. I think we will continue to support each other.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT