ADVERTISEMENT

Is Mullen safe if

May 9, 2007
MS goes .500 overall and 3-5 in the SEC this year? (3-5 SEC and L to OKSU for a 6-6 record).
This post was edited on 7/25 12:46 PM by SCarolinaOne

No doubt. He's completely safe at this point. This year is not a pressure year either. The schedule is tough this year. Another bowl game improves his standing at State it won't hurt it.

Yeah that question comes up just about every year around this time from those outside of Starkville. The consensus among the fanbase, I would say, is that he's pretty safe until he starts missing out on bowls. The fact is, he's done really well compared to what fans are used to around here. The problem that could arise is that expectations are risen too high and fans are expecting more. But that's part of the success that he's brought. He knows that and he realizes that he has to get wins against teams that he's not supposed to beat. He hasn't lost a single game that MSU was favored to win. At the same time, his teams haven't really upset anyone just yet. I've said for the past two years that 2015 is the year that his team should be competing for the SEC Championship. Everything should be in place to really compete at that point.

You are probably right. From the outside people seem to think his teams are losing momentum and regressing, but as you pointed out, he is going to bowl games every year so that perception is not accurate. Again, from the outside it also seems that most believe Ole Miss has the momentum and is progressing quickly. I remember just 2-3 years ago when Mullen could have taken almost any job that was open. I suspect that if he were to go 6-6/3-5 or 7-5/3-5 this year that some Bulldog fans would be getting restless.

The momentum constantly shifts in the Egg Bowl Rivalry. State had a complete strangle hold on Ole Miss for three-consecutive seasons. Now after Ole Miss won people forget about the three-straight wins and Ole Miss is perceived to have all of the momentum with a strong signing class. That's how quickly it can change. In the 60's and 70's Ole Miss had complete control in the rivalry. You won't see that happen again. It's going to shift back in forth. Three or four years is probably as long as one team will hold advantage here. All it takes is one win to shift it back. If State beat Ole Miss this year, regardless of the Rebels' record, I can promise you they would consider that a step back. Thanksgiving night will be wild

Unless there is just a complete meltdown at MSU next season, even if he goes 5-7, he won't be on the hot seat. Now if 2014
Shows no improvement, the talks will begin.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

He is totally safe! .500 overall and 3-5 in the SEC would exceed my expectation for this year.

However, I admit I am one calling for his head sort of speak if we go something like 3-9 or 4-8 overall...even 5-7 I would raise an eyebrow.

Mullen peaked at year #2 and it has been a struggle to maintain that peak let alone surpass it. This will be year 5. Out of a now 14 team conference...only 3...possibly 4 teams would find Mullen's SEC record acceptable...with State being one of those 3/4 teams.

Brand new football facilities...Huge addition to our stadium...when it is done it still may hold the smallest crowds in the SEC but damn it might just be one of the nicest looking stadiums not just in the SEC but in the nation.

A return on investment is needed. like I said...anything less than 5-7...our AD needs to think about this. 5-7 he is safe but eye brows are raised...6-6 or better...he bought himself 2-3 more years.

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO, Coach Mullen's job is safe reguardless of his record this year. With that being said, my prediction is 7-5. I like the fact that the media is predicting a down year, we will sneak up on several teams this year...book it!

HAIL STATE!

MSU is way too invested in Coach Mullen. The strength of schedule , Arkansas and Ole Miss having coaching problems with Nutt and Patrino and of course the Auburn's issues his record is basically smoke and mirrors.
However, it is a record non the less and the problem MSU has now is that Coach Mullen is not attractive to any other program and will have to have a total collapse over a 3 year period ( 4 or less wins) or a somewhat total collapse over a 5 year period ( 5 wins or less). Anything more and they cannot fire him and hope to get anyone.

He is playing alot of young guys and with that comes mistakes and miscues. Main reason we lost to Auburn. I like the talent in the secondary but two starters one at safety Jay Hughes and another CB Jameson love were out with injuries. That's where we really see how much we miss banks and slay. The good news is that they are getting better and with our schedule no one except for some sunshine pumpers were expecting more than 6 to 7 wins possibly. All these young guys look good and in 2014, it should be a much improved unit and the schedule gets better. So Mullen likely gets a free pass this year but next season if nothing has changed, I expect a change. I will say this though, if we don't show improvement through out the season as we expect with playing so many freshman and sophomores who haven't played alot and we go into the egg bowl and just get beat down, Mullen could be gone. He doesn't have to win the egg bowl but a complete meltdown of a season and then an egg bowl thumping would set it over the top.

The egg bowl could go either way. I have not seen ole miss fans so confident they would win since 2009 and we won handily. Home field advantage is huge and the last decade proves that. Also MSU is still a more talented and deeper team over all. Coaching has been the issue but there has been flashes of what we all have been waiting for. Mullen has 8 games left to get his young guys together. I expect not only a egg bowl victory by MSU but a complete blowout. Msu should have blown them out last year when mr int Bo Wallace kept giving us the ball back in the first half. Mullen is coaching for his job. He won't lose to Freeze this year. Bank on it.

DC...I guess you have a lot of faith that your illegal, immoral redneck cowbells will give you the home-field advantage. There is a lot of football left left to play right now,and the EGG Bowl is the least of our concerns. Bama, Auburn, A&M, and LSU in a row are much more conerning to OM now.

I can assure you not one MSU fan is concerned about the Egg bowl right now. We have 7 games left before that one and up next is LSU at home which could be the biggest win under Mullen if it went right for us. We aren't expecting it but its always possible.
Again, I can assure we aren't worried about anything but LSU right now, then on to the next opponent. The egg bowl talk was started by one your guys we just have been discussing so stop trying to act all superior like ole miss people don't give a damn about that game. Just because we are discussing it doesn't mean we live for one game and secretly wish we were like ole miss. I am really sick of your smug, better than you on every level, attitude.

Why do you keep bringing up the cowbells? Let it go, they aren't going anywhere and if you don't like them, don't come to the Egg bowl this year.

The reason that I bring up the cowbells, and I will continue is because, as I said, they are wrong, unsportsmanlike, and deplored by everybody other than MSU fans. Yes they are illegal, and your university has broken every compromise that the SEC has tried to do to accommodate you with. I think that speaks volumes about MSU fans.

I will be at the EGG Bowl this year, and I will tolerate the cowbells the best that I can. As far as thinking that they will not go anywhere, I would not bet on that. One day, the SEC office will grow a pair, or you will PO the wrong person and force the SEC office to enforce something that they have been trying to do so for years.

FYI, they are banned a VH, and other SEC venues, and I can promise you they will be confiscated there.

I will say I am a little surprised Mullen isn't further along after four full seasons. Not saying it is reasonable that MSU would be dominating, but really thought you would only be losing to the SEC elite and making every game a battle by now.
He should have the players he wants, and while he was known to rub folks the wrong way, no one ever said he wasn't a very smart football coach.

Will never forget the homecoming game in the Swamp, when he outcoached Meyer at every turn. My wife took her sister from out of state, to that game and yelled, "F#@#ing John Brantley!"...I was so proud of her...
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Best of luck the rest of the way and if you could beat SC for us, I would certainly appreciate it.

REB we can't help it if you don't like COWBELL anyone that doesn't like MISSISSIPPI STATE OR OUR COWBELL I55 runs north and south I 20 runs east and west [ hit the road JACK ]

Not to give you a geography lesson, but neither I-55 nor I-20 go anywhere near Starkville nor your Cowbells.
This post was edited on 10/10 10:28 AM by chattreb

At least the Clemson Tigers do not ring cowbells. They just get real upset about their rock.

Mullen maybe not the answer Bulldogs, nice guy and all, but has he ever beaten a higher ranked team? Seriously, how long do you put up with this?

Originally posted by SCarolinaOne:

MS goes .500 overall and 3-5 in the SEC this year? (3-5 SEC and L to OKSU for a 6-6 record).

This post was edited on 7/25 12:46 PM by SCarolinaOne
Well, CDM would take that 6-6/3-5 record now if given the chance.

You are so defeated and disoriented that you are making an ass out of yourself. State won and State has won 4/5. What is your argument as far as just these two teams? yes Freeze has a sig win against LSU no doubt. CDM is still chasing his sig win BUT 4/5 against TSUN really keeps the water from rippling around Starkville UNTIL that sig win comes.

I know when a TSUN fan is grasping for help because they always go to the "factoids" from the 40s-60s or the all-time eggbowl records or some shit. Its comical. Please keep entertaining me....

Also the fact that you have to name drop the BHAM bowl is AWESOME!!!!!

Once again please keep entertaining us. We have fed all of our cows today and have nothing to do.

Hey Jack, apparently you haven't kept up with State's bowl history, but we went to the Music City bowl 2 years ago. So, been there, done that yourself. You Ole Miss fans are all the same, the only research you do before you open your mouths is the overall Egg record.

This recent streak of winning by "miss cow college" is really very rare in the history of the series. Most of the time and when things are normal the flagship school of the state the University of Mississippi takes care of business in the Egg Bowl.

Danny Boy may be 4-1 against Ole Miss and he deserves a little pat on the back but keep in mind two of those wins were against two of the worst Ole Miss football teams in our history that dates back to 1893. Atta boy Danny.

However the real facts are Coach Hugh Freeze(a coach of great character) is 1-1 against Mullen. That's the real rivalry number people should remember.

The Rebs will be back. Win No.62 will be coming this November for Ole Miss. Freeze will take the lead on Mullen and the Golden Egg will be back in Mississippi's No.1 college town Oxford.

It's not really rare. Since the dominance from the 40's and into the 60's by Ole miss, it's been a pretty even series.Ole Miss won 17 of 20 games from 1944-1963, That's where the bulk of the overall record comes from. That was, of course, before most of us were all born and if we were born we probably weren't old enough to gloat about it.

In the last 20 games, MSU has won 11 and Ole Miss 10... In the last 30 games MSU has won 14 games and Ole Miss 16. It's become a closer series and I think that's due to the fact that each team will, from now until the end of time, do anything to beat the other. Neither will ever pull away from the other program in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT