ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Cameron Sparks***

jason stamm

Freshman
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Please do not copy/paste or summarize any portion of this post to other Web sites or message boards, as it is a direct violation of copyright laws and could result in the termination of your Rivals.com subscription per our terms of service. Thank you.

Hey y'all, I kept seeing some scuttle in places that 2025 four-star receiver Cameron Sparks was leaning to State recently. That included from ON3's Chad Simmons, who I used to work with at Scout and Rivals and who I very much respect. So, I reached out to Sparks myself to get some insight and see if there's anything there.
I do think State is now the favorite here for a few reasons. First, Sparks told me he loves that not only does the Bulldogs staff, including coach Jeff Lebby, reach out to him, but they talk to his parents a lot. So, I'm not gonna say they've won over the parents, but it's gone a long way. Second, Sparks said State coaches have explained how he would be used in the offense, in a "unique way." That consists of being a "combo receiver" who can play inside and outside, contrary to other schools recruiting him.

Third, Sparks is set to visit Mississippi State twice over the next month. He has an unofficial visit set for Aug. 31, for the season-opener against Eastern Kentucky. And on Sept. 14, he'll be back for an official visit when the Bulldogs host Toledo. The first will be his first time in Starkville. And then on top of all that, Sparks told me he has a great relationship with assistant coach Chad Bumphis and grad assistant Benton Duby. SOOOO, I'm slightly hesitant to put a FutureCast in for the Bulldogs, because he hasn't visited campus yet. But that's a LOT trending in their direction.

The other school in play here is Florida State. Sparks flat out told me, "those two schools are in the lead right now." He has an official visit set with the Noles for Oct. 5, when they host Clemson. That'll be a HUGE atmosphere. MSU would have been much better off getting Sparks Sept. 21 for the Florida game because of the atmosphere. And that still could happen. But that's another reason I'm somewhat hesitant to FutureCast for the Bulldogs. Still, I feel good enough I'll do that later this morning.

Sparks really didn't talk about anyone else. So, I think unless something changes soon, it'll be between Mississippi State and Florida State. These upcoming visits to Starkville will be huge. I'll keep an eye and ear out and relay any other updates when available.

Full story coming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.