ADVERTISEMENT

MSU RELEASE Dak Prescott Selected By Dallas Cowboys In Round 4 of 2016 NFL Draft

Vernon

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Beyond the Sun
bulldogblitz.com

CHICAGO –
Dak Prescott became the highest drafted Mississippi State quarterback in modern NFL Draft history when the Dallas Cowboys called his name in the fourth round with the No. 135 overall pick on Saturday afternoon.

Prescott, who was watching the draft at Toledo Bend Resort in Louisiana, fulfilled a lifelong dream of being chosen by the NFL team he grew up rooting for. He will report to Dallas next week for a rookie minicamp.

“This means everything,” Prescott said. “It was just something I dreamed about. I ran around the house acting like I was a Cowboys quarterback my whole life, so for it all to come true it’s such a blessing. Just being here with my family, and Mr. Jones gave me that call, and just the excitement to have my family a majority of Cowboys fans, it was awesome.”

The owner of two academic degrees from Mississippi State, Prescott is also the school’s most decorated player having shattered 38 school records and leading the Bulldogs to their first No. 1 national ranking. He’s the first Bulldog drafted to play quarterback in the NFL since Dave Marler went in the 10th round to the Buffalo Bills in 1979. (Note: Former quarterback Don Smith was selected to play running back by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1987.)

State tied a school record with three picks through the first four rounds of a draft. It did it on four other occasions, including 1995, ’98, ’99 and 2001.

Prescott joined defensive tackle Chris Jones (No. 37 to Kansas City) and cornerback Will Redmond (No. 68 to San Francisco) of Bulldogs who were drafted this season. Several more are expected to sign free agent contracts on Sunday and Monday.

Other 2016 Mississippi State NFL Draft Notes – Day 3

·21 different MSU players have been selected in the NFL Draft under Dan Mullen since 2010.

·Dak Prescott joined a list of the following Bulldog QBs drafted since 1960: Don Smith (RB -1987), Dave Marler (1979), Rockey Felker (1975), Joe Reed (1971), Charles Furlow (1962).

·Prescott is the fifth Mullen coached quarterback to be drafted: Josh Harris (Bowling Green), Omar Jacobs (Bowling Green), Alex Smith (Utah), Tim Tebow (Florida).

·Prescott is the first Bulldog to be taken by the Dallas Cowboys since defensive tackle Willy Blade went in the third round of 2001.

·MSU has produced at least three NFL Draft picks in five out of the last six drafts.

·MSU has had at least one offensive player drafted in four out of the last five drafts.

·Prescott was the highest drafted Southeastern Conference quarterback since Tyler Wilson of Arkansas went No. 112 to Oakland in 2013. Three other SEC QBs were drafted in that span.

·Prescott is the first quarterback selected by the Dallas Cowboys since Stephen McGee of Texas A&M, also in the fourth round, in 2009. He’s just the third quarterback drafted by the Cowboys since 2001.

·A total of 188 Bulldogs have now been chosen in the NFL Draft all-time.

Dak Prescott Dallas Cowboys Draft Day Teleconference Transcript

(On how much does this mean to him since he grew up a Cowboys fan) – “This means everything. It was just something I dreamed about. I ran around the house acting like I was a Cowboys quarterback my whole life, so for it all to come true it’s such a blessing. Just being here with my family, and Mr. Jones gave me that call, and just the excitement to have my family a majority of Cowboys fans, it was awesome.”

(On how much time he spent with the Cowboys since the Senior Bowl and if he felt like they wanted him) – “I got a good feel with the coaches but I didn’t put too much thought into who wanted me more than who. I got to meet with them at the Senior Bowl, met with Coach (Wade) Wilson at the Combine and then Coach Wilson flew into Starkville and worked me out. Then a few weeks ago they flew me up to Dallas just to get to know me for the visit. On that visit, them flying me in late was maybe they want me, maybe they’re thinking about me real good, real hard. So for it to all come true and they draft me today is just unbelievable and I’m still excited.”

(On what other teams he visited pre-draft) – “I did draft visits with the Cardinals, the Bengals, the Eagles and the Broncos.”

(On if the Cowboys did anything different compared to the other teams) – “Honestly, the Cowboys were just more ball than anything. They got to know me a little bit. I know Coach Wilson, so Coach (Scott) Linehan got to know me a little bit and spoke about myself to Coach (Jason) Garrett, but more so than anything it was all ball, getting to know my football knowledge and how I pick up and learn things. I thought that was really important and obviously it benefitted me.”

(On if he sees any similarities in his game and Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo’s) – “Romo wins and I win and I think that’s the biggest thing you can take from the quarterback’s position, the biggest takeaway. He goes out there and he wins a lot of games and always has the Cowboys in position to win a game and I felt like I did the same thing in college. To come to the Cowboys and learn under him will be exciting.”

(On what kind of NFL quarterback does he envision himself as) – “Just a great quarterback. I don’t know if there’s any quarterback that I would say I mimic my game after. Obviously, Russell Wilson doing some good things and being a runner and thrower who’s throwing first and hurting people with his feet once he starts to run. But I just want to go in and continue to get better each and every day, learn this system and just play ball.”

(On what does it feel like to be in the mix of being Romo’s successor) – “It’ll be awesome. I’m going to go in there I’m going to work and I’m going to compete. I’m going to do the best I can and work as hard as I can and try to outwork everyone there. Pushing Tony Romo, pushing the other guys, Kellen Moore, and just know while I’m doing that I’m making myself better and making my whole team better.”

(On whether the Senior Bowl was the first time he has worked under center) – “Yes sir. The Senior Bowl was the first live reps under center.”

(On if it took awhile to get used to working under center) – “No, I mean I feel like I am a very athletic quarterback, so dropping back from under the center is not much of a change. It’s not much harder. I’m excited. It is just something I have to work at and make it like the back of my hand and don’t even think about. More so than anything, I can do it; it’s not hard.”

(On what he told teams when he visited with them about his DUI arrest) – “I took full responsibility for my actions. It was a mistake and I learned from it and it won’t happen again. I am going to be a better person because of it. It is in my past.”

(On whether the Cowboys talked to him about it) – “Of course. It was the elephant in the room. They spoke on it and I reinstated my message and my statement about the whole situation and what I just told ya’ll. It’s something in the past. It’s something that I can guarantee everyone won’t happened again. It was a mistake, but it going to make me a better person and it already has.”

(On whether he has thought about throwing the ball the Dez Bryant) – “He has been an awesome receiver – one of the best and maybe the best in the game right now. He has strong hands and he makes your job easier as a quarterback. So, to be able to throw to him will be fun, and then, obviously Mr. Dependable Jason Witten. We’ve got targets in Dallas and I’m excited to come and join.”

(On where he is today) – “I am in Toledo Bend at this little resort in a conference room with all my family. I waited out yesterday, yesterday passed and then coming into today I felt fine. I knew that whatever was going to happen was going to happen for a reason. The stress and pressure around me I guess you could say from my family, but when that call came through as Dallas, Texas and I knew the Cowboys had the next pick coming up, I was all excited. Everybody started screaming and I could barely hear Coach on the phone talking to me. It was awesome. A dream come true.”

(On if he thinks he could be the number two quarterback this year) – “Definitely. No doubt about it. I am going to go in there and work, like I said, and I’m going to outwork and push those other quarterbacks, make them better, make Tony better, and then play whatever role the coaches ask me to play.”

(On whether the number of reps he will get his rookie year is a concern) – “Not really. I feel like mental reps are just as good as physical reps. If you are going through that play, you know exactly what the quarterback is thinking or what he should have been thinking. When you are just standing and not doing anything physically, I think that helps you just as much. This is game is played at our position most importantly form the neck up, so if you are tuned in and know what you are doing mentally, I think you have a head start on everyone.”

(On whether he watched more film of Romo or his college games when he was visiting the team) – “It was pretty much all Romo. I watched the stuff I did in college when Coach [Wade] Wilson came to Starkville. When I went on my visit, it was all Romo. It was some of the things they’ve done, some of the ways that we could prepare, me and Romo, just fitting into the Cowboys system. It was awesome though. It was awesome.”

(On who he did his pre combine work with) – “I was with Tom Shaw out in Orlando at the Wide World of Sports.”

ADVERTISEMENT